Just in case anyone is moving soon, here are a few of my lessons learned in 4 moves in 3 years.
1. Clothes make wonderful packing material for dishes, glasses, and other breakable items. Why spend money on paper or bubble wrap?
2. Pack a suitcase as if you are going for a weekend. Include all necessary items for life during that weekend. It will save you time in finding the hair dryer or clothes for the next day because it doesn’t look like every other box.
3. When packing the truck, pack boxes inside of bookshelves, armoires, etc. It’s space saving and it helps stabilize the large furniture as it goes over bumpy roads.
4. Make sure to turn on electric, gas and other necessary utilities before moving in. A pile of boxes and no light is not fun after 6pm.
5. Pack bedding in garbage bags. It’s easy to recognize and can fit in the gaps in the truck. It will also make it easy to step up a the new home.
6. Lastly, we moved with a toddler this time. We had the privilege of bringing her to the new home several times before we actually moved. This helped ease her transition and help her to feel comfortable with this new experience.
And with that– we won’t be moving for another 20 years. 🙂