I’ve seen this meme all over, and I can’t help but participate, as I love love love books.
- Where do you most often buy your books? Online? Secondhand stores? Big name bookstores? Being out in the middle of nowhere, I usually get books online, but get me into a bookstore and it’s a guaranteed purchase, even when I swear I won’t buy anything at all.
- If you buy online, which do you prefer – B&N or Amazon.com? Ebay? Christianbook.com? or elsewhere? Usually Amazon.com although I *loved* B&N when I was in Manhattan–same day delivery for some books. It was perfect.
- Do you put your name in your books? If so, are you a bookplate or stamp person? I almost always put my name in my books, but I’m not as high tech as a bookplate or a stamper. I usually take the old fashioned cursive name. Ever since I’ve started selling books on Amazon, I’ve been careful to only mark the ones I really think I’ll keep.
- How do you feel about loaning books to others? I’m hesitant. I’ve lost way too many books over the years to warrant lending them out. Although, in the end I guess it somewhat balances out, as I have at least 3 books I need to send back to my NYC friends (sorry Laura!)
- Do you highlight or mark your books as you read? If it’s non-fiction, yup. I’ll either use a scripture marking pencil with a ruler or a good highlighter. I can’t help myself from writing notes in the side too. If it’s fiction, I don’t mark it at all.
- How often do you visit your local library? My township doesn’t have one. I went to the one in town when I lived there, but I’ve been told I now need to pay $35/year which is just not worth it to me. Their selection is too old to warrant the money.
- Do you collect any certain kind of book? I’m building a collection of children’s books and classics. I’ve got tons and tons of social science books from my schooling, and I’d like to build a stronger education library as I think I’ll be back in the schools (or running a school) at some point.
- What do you do when you’re done with a book and no longer want it? I sell them on Amazon. I’ve made over $150 on books I’d never read again. I need to be better at getting them to the post office within 48 hours though. It’s hard with baby and a 35 minute drive to the post office.
- Do you keep a list of or catalog the books you own? Nope. You’d think we would with my husband being a librarian and all. We may in the future, as I’d envision our library getting much larger.
- Any other weird book habits you’d like to share? I’m a voracious reader for a while, then I’ll take a break from reading. I can read books quickly, but if I’m not into it there is no way in the world I’ll pick it up thrice. I love to reread my favorite books over and over. I used to be incredibly meticulous about using bookmarks, but since baby I’ve been folding down pages more and more. I know, I know. .
If you are a bibliophile too, feel free to do this and let me know in the comments. I’d love to see what y’all are reading too.