So I was reading a bunch of financial blogs today. I’m not exactly ummm financial savvy, so I’ve been trying to read up, as Dan and I try to eliminate debt. Here are a few interesting ways to save money by reducing your energy costs, orginally published at Get Rich Slowly.
* If you use space heaters instead of central heating, you can save nearly $1200/year!
* If you use fans instead of air conditioning, you can save about $600/year.
* If you dry your clothes on a line instead of in a dryer, you can save $150/year.
* If you wash your laundry in cold water instead of hot, you can save $150/year.
* If you replace regular light bulbs with compact fluorescents, you can save nearly $100/year.
* If you get rid of your television, you can save $75/year.
* If you put your computer in sleep mode when you’re not using it, you can save $60/year.
I knew there was wisdom in putting the computers to sleep! And now think of this– If we got rid of the TV we’d save $75/year in energy + $39/mo in cable/Dish fees. That’s over $550/year (probably more since I didn’t include taxes!) Wow. So am I really ready to give up on Survivor and Deal or No Deal? I’m not so sure yet, but are they really worth $550? ehhh, probably not. . .